Environmental Health & Safety
Welcome to EH&S. We are here as a resource for the entire University community, including our Medical Center, Eastman School of Music and Memorial Art Gallery, River Campus, medical off-sites and so forth. EH&S provides safety, compliance and advisory services while managing risks, assessing and evaluating the environment, advocating safe work practices, providing quality educational programs and ensuring compliance with University and regulatory standards. Our units include:
- Business Continuity / Emergency Management - administers a comprehensive emergency management plan to save lives, protect research and property and safeguard the environment through mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery
- Environmental Compliance - responsible for the disposal of hazardous waste and oversees other activities that are regulated by environmental law
- Fire Safety - responsible for all aspects of maximizing fire safety throughout the University
- Laboratory Safety - provides a unified approach to laboratory safety by evaluating and minimizing the physical, chemical and biological hazards in laboratory locations
- Occupational Safety - focuses on protecting the safety, health and welfare of students, researchers, employees, etc. The goal of all occupational safety programs is to foster a safe work environment.
- Pest Control - responsible for preventing or controlling any type of pest problem
- Radiation Safety - responsible for all activities dealing with radioactive materials and radiation producing equipment
- Sanitation - focuses on helping the University achieve and maintain a healthful environment with an emphasis on food safety
The Occupational Safety, Pest Control, Sanitarian and Laboratory Safety Units are located at 685 Mt Hope Avenue at the corner of McLean Street. Fire Safety and Business Continuity/Emergency Management Units are located at 590 Mt. Hope Avenue at the corner of Linden Street. The Environmental Compliance Unit is located at 520 Intercampus Drive and the Radiation Safety Office is located in the Medical Center in Room G-8842.
We hope you find this web site helpful and if you have any comments, questions or concerns, please contact EH&S at (585)275-3241 or e-mail Questions@safety.rochester.edu.
This page last updated 8/28/2023. Disclaimer.