Environmental Health & Safety
The Department's Mission is
to provide safety, health and advisory services to the University Community through managing risk, assessing and evaluating the environment, advocating safe work practices, providing quality educational programs and ensuring compliance with University and regulatory standards, to support the University's Mission of Learn, Heal, Create and Make the World Ever Better.
To support the University’s mission of education, humanities, research and healthcare with comprehensive Environmental Health & Safety programs that advocate safe work practices, using professional, knowledgeable staff and by providing high quality service.
Our values are:
Meliora: "Ever better". EH&S always strives to be "ever better" for everyone.
Equity: EH&S embraces a diverse workforce and equity for all our employees. We treat everyone with polite empathy and dignity.
Leadership: Each EH&S employee possesses significant knowledge, expertise, education, dedication and experience to lead in serving the University community. We believe trusting long-term relationships best serve our employees and students' interests. The EH&S staff is committed to providing the University with valuable guidance regarding workplace safety and employee health in a professional manner.
Integrity: Honesty and truthfulness are our guiding principles. We gain our customers' trust and respect, and increase their confidence in our abilities by doing what is right instead of making decisions/decrees based on emotion, bias, personal gain or external pressure. We take responsibility for our actions and decisions, and base them on sound environmental health & safety practices and principles. We apply excellence to everything we do.
Openness: EH&S supports a culture of freedom of ideas, inquiry & expression which is critical to improving the quality of a safe work environment.
Respect: Listening and understanding are critical to achieving reasonable solutions for regulatory compliance. Each person and concern is treated as individual and unique. We take the time to discover and discern the facts of each situation.
Accountability: EH&S emphasizes a proactive ideology with the goal of eliminating or minimizing the effect of serious environmental health or safety problems. Preparation, planning and anticipating/prioritizing the risks are all important components of being accountable.
Our goals are:
1. Occupational Safety – Injury reductions – reduce # of patient handling injuries by 10% by year end 2018. [From CY16 (N=88) to CY17 (N=79)]
2. Occupational Safety – Blood exposure reductions – reduce # of blood exposure incidents (sharps, splashes) by 15%. [From CY16 (348) to CY18 (295)]
3. Radiological Safety – Radiation exposure reduction - reduce by 5% measurable University-wide of annual cumulative deep dose from 35 REM (CY17) to 33 REM (CY18).
4. Sanitation – Cut-related injuries – reduce # of cut-related injuries in Douglass Dining by 50% from FY16-17 (N=21) to FY17-18 (N=10).
5. Fire Safety – Cooking Fire Alarm reductions – reduce # of cooking fire alarms by 10%. [From CY16 (N=585) to CY17 (N=527)]
6. Emergency Management – AlertUR Participation - Increase enrollment in Alert UR’s text messaging and phone call delivery methods by 10% over the next calendar year (from 55.5% for SMS text and 60.9% for phone calls in CY 17).
7. Environmental Compliance – Unknown Chemicals for Disposal - Reduce the number of unknown chemicals turned in for disposal from 15 (CY17) to 6 or less (CY18).
QUESTIONS or COMMENTS?
Contact EH&S at (585) 275-3241 or e-mail EH&S Questions.
This page last updated 10/23/2018. Disclaimer.