Environmental Health & Safety
Laboratory Safety Unit
Safety Training for Laboratory Personnel
BLACKBOARD TRAINING IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE: ALL EMPLOYEES, STUDENTS, VISITORS AND OTHER NON-EMPLOYEES MUST COMPLETE LAB SAFETY TRAINING IN MYPATH
For those who do not have direct access to a computer you may use the computing centers at Miner Library, inside the Medical Center or Rush Rhees Library on River Campus.
- Attention Mac users: It is recommended that you complete these modules using Chrome instead of Safari
- Attention PIs/Lab Managers: There is no print function in MyPath to obtain a certificate of course completion for staff. If you are tracking compliance for your lab, instructions to run a report are included at the bottom of this page. If you have any additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please ensure Adobe Flash Player and Java Script are current and up to date
- Printable version of this page is available by clicking the Employees link below
Please choose the course that most accurately describes the materials that you handle within your duties. If you are unsure of the course to take, please ask you Principal Investigator or Supervisor. All courses include Bloodborne Pathogens Training.
- Clinical Labs will take the Standard Chemical course
- Clinical Microbiology will take the Chemical/Biological course
- Phlebotomists, Venous Nurses and Study Coordinators will take the Standard Chemical Course
The following are training records for Year-to-Date. These records were published as of 4/8/2021:
To print your Learning Transcript in MyPath (https://mypath.rochester.edu/):
- Place cursor over the "Learning" tab (blue bars at top of screen), then select "My Learning Transcript".
- Switch "Active" button (white button mid-screen) to "Completed".
- Click "Options" button (upper right; white square with three dots) and select "Print Transcript".
SUPERVISORS/PIs/LAB MANAGERS - To access your employees' training records in MyPath:
- This feature is only available for employees who are assigned to you as direct reports in HRMS
- EH&S will post quarterly Lab Safety Training reports for all employees and students
- Place cursor over the "My Team" tab (blue bars at top of screen), then select "Manage Employee Learning"
- Click the icon under the "View Transcript" column listed for every employee on the right
- Switch "Active" button (white button mid-screen) to "Completed"
- Click "Options" button (upper right; white square with three dots) and select "Print Transcript"
Laboratory Site-Specific Compliance Checklist
The following Laboratory Site-Specific Compliance Checklist is required to be completed ANNUALLY by all staff, including the Principal Investigator. This checklist is to ensure that all staff are aware of the hazards present in their lab and have been trained handle those hazards safely. Checklists should be maintained by the Principal Investigator or Lab Manager for 5 years.
Laboratory Safety Training Executive Summary
Due to the large amount of information presented in training, we provide an executive summary at the completion of Laboratory Safety Training to help ensure your laboratory's compliance. This list does not cover all the information you are required to know and retain from training, nor does not supplement annual training requirements, but reflects most action items required to help ensure laboratory compliance.
QUESTIONS or COMMENTS?
Contact EH&S at (585) 275-3241 or e-mail Questions.
This page last updated 4/9/2021. Disclaimer.