Environmental Health & Safety
Research Lab Exposure Reporting Procedure
Printable version in Adobe Acrobat
If you are injured or exposed (or possibly exposed) to an experimental material while working in a research lab:
- (Needlestick, cut, puncture, splash to mucous membranes or unprotected skin while working with human blood, body fluids, tissues or cell lines, chemicals or other biological agents, or an animal bite or scratch)
- WASH OR IRRIGATE THE AFFECTED AREA IMMEDIATELY
- Unprotected skin, needlestick, cut or bite - wash with soap and water. If this is a Macaque exposure see "Macaque-Exposure Protocol".
- Mouth - rinse well with water.
- Eyes - rinse with sterile water, saline or tap water.
- CALL FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT
- Human blood and body fluid exposure -- Call the Blood Exposure Hot Line at 275-2662 ASAP, including nights/weekends/holidays.
- All other exposures to experimental materials and animals (bites & scratches) -- Call University Health Services at 275-2662 ASAP, including nights/weekends/holidays.
- REPORT THE EXPOSURE TO YOUR SUPERVISOR/PI
- Report the incident on-line at http://www.safety.rochester.edu/SMH115.html
WASH, CALL, REPORT
QUESTIONS or COMMENTS?
Contact EH&S at (585) 275-3241 or e-mail EH&S Questions.
This page last updated 11/22/2013. Disclaimer.