Environmental Health & Safety
Occupational Safety Unit
Safety Training for Research Laboratory Personnel
NOTE: For those new lab personnel and those scheduled to complete lab safety training in January/February 2015, the updated training for 2015 on Blackboard will not be completed until February 2015. You may take the web based training listed below instead. Be sure to print, complete and fax the quiz to EH&S at 274-0001 in order to receive credit for completing the 2015 training.
To assure compliance with federal and state regulations, those working in labs or supervising lab personnel must complete EH&S laboratory safety training annually. Is your lab safety training current? You can now check your individual training history through the HRMS PeopleSoft site - HRMS Sign-in. Once you log in using your netid and password, select the "Self Service" option from the main menu, then select "Learning and Development" and "Training Summary". You'll see a list of the various training courses you have completed at the University.
EH&S Lab Safety Training sessions include topics to comply with the following regulations:
- OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) compliance training for the standards:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
Gas Cylinder Safety
Personal Protective Equipment
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) issues for minimizing waste and disposal of regulated medical waste and hazardous waste
- General biosafety information including CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), New York State Department or Health,
and Department of Environmental Conservation issues
Departments can schedule a live 3-hour session for their department provided a minimum of 20 people are scheduled for attendance. This can be scheduled by calling EH&S at x5-3241.
Computer-based Laboratory Safety Training, through the Blackboard system, is available for staff who are unable to attend a "live" session. Non-UR employees, non-UR students and volunteers may complete their lab safety training using the same Blackboard system, but must register for a "basic account" first. (Go to https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/libraries/miner/teaching_and_learning/blackboard/forms/create_user.cfm.)
Instructions on how to self-enroll in the course are available - Self-enroll in Lab Safety Training. The safety training has been customized for the various University lab staff:
- Clinical Lab Personnel - training program designed only for those who process human specimens.
- Phlebotomists and Clinical Study Coordinators - training program designed only for those who draw blood or coordinate clinical studies
- Research Lab Personnel - Laboratory Safety Training is now available through Blackboard.
All individuals within a particular lab must complete the same training program. Select the program based on the activities in the lab - You need to complete only one of the four options below. If you are not sure which one to take, the Biologicals/Chemicals/Animals covers the most information.
- Biologicals/Chemicals/Animals - training program designed for those staff working with chemicals, recombinant DNA, human specimens, or infectious agents
- Biologicals/Chemicals - training program designed for those for those staff working with chemicals and recombinant DNA, human specimens or infectious agents but NO animals
- Chemical/Animals - training program designed for those staff working with chemicals and animals
- Chemicals - training program designed for those staff working with chemicals only and miscellaneous physical hazards are present
QUESTIONS or COMMENTS?
Contact EH&S at (585) 275-3241 or e-mail EH&S Questions.
This page last updated 1/19/2015. Disclaimer.