Environmental Health & Safety
Occupational Safety Unit
Safety Training for Research Laboratory Personnel
To assure compliance with federal and state regulations, those working in labs or supervising lab personnel must complete EH&S laboratory safety training annually. Is your lab safety training current? You can now check your individual training history through the HRMS PeopleSoft site - HRMS Sign-in. Once you log in using your netid and password, select the "Self Service" option from the main menu, then select "Learning and Development" and "Training Summary". You'll see a list of the various training courses you have completed at the University.
EH&S Lab Safety Training sessions include topics to comply with the following regulations:
- OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) compliance training for the standards:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
Gas Cylinder Safety
Personal Protective Equipment
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) issues for minimizing waste and disposal of regulated medical waste and hazardous waste
- General biosafety information including CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), New York State Department or Health,
and Department of Environmental Conservation issues
Departments can schedule a live 3-hour session for their department provided a minimum of 20 people are scheduled for attendance. This can be scheduled by calling EH&S at x5-3241.
Computer-based Laboratory Safety Training, through the Blackboard system, is available for staff who are unable to attend a "live" session. Non-UR employees, non-UR students and volunteers may complete their lab safety training using the same Blackboard system, but must register for a "basic account" first. (Go to https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/libraries/miner/teaching_and_learning/blackboard/forms/create_user.cfm.)
Instructions on how to self-enroll in the course are available - Self-enroll in Lab Safety Training. The safety training has been customized for the various University lab staff:
- Clinical Lab Personnel - training program designed only for those who process human specimens.
- Phlebotomists and Clinical Study Coordinators - training program designed only for those who draw blood or coordinate clinical studies
- Research Lab Personnel - Laboratory Safety Training is now available through Blackboard.
All individuals within a particular lab must complete the same training program. Select the program based on the activities in the lab - You need to complete only one of the four options below. If you are not sure which one to take, the Biologicals/Chemicals/Animals covers the most information.
- Biologicals/Chemicals/Animals - training program designed for those staff working with chemicals, recombinant DNA, human specimens, or infectious agents
- Biologicals/Chemicals - training program designed for those for those staff working with chemicals and recombinant DNA, human specimens or infectious agents but NO animals
- Chemical/Animals - training program designed for those staff working with chemicals and animals
- Chemicals - training program designed for those staff working with chemicals only and miscellaneous physical hazards are present
QUESTIONS or COMMENTS?
Contact EH&S at (585) 275-3241 or e-mail EH&S Questions.
This page last updated 12/31/2013. Disclaimer.