Occupational Safety Unit
Safety Training for Research Laboratory Personnel
OSHA Required Training
To assure compliance with federal and state regulations, those working in labs or supervising lab personnel must complete EH&S laboratory safety training annually. Is your lab safety training current? You can now check your individual training history through the HRMS PeopleSoft site - HRMS Sign-in. Once you log in using your netid and password, select the "Self Service" option from the main menu, then select "Learning and Development" and "Training Summary". You'll see a list of the various training courses you have completed at the University.
EH&S Lab Safety Training sessions include topics to comply with the following regulations:
- OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) compliance training for the standards:
Gas Cylinder Safety
Personal Protective Equipment
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) issues for minimizing waste and disposal of regulated medical waste and hazardous waste
- General biosafety information including CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), New York State Department or Health,
and Department of Environmental Conservation issues
Departments can schedule a live 3-hour session for their department provided a minimum of 20 people are scheduled for attendance. This can be scheduled by calling EH&S at x5-3241.
Computer-based Laboratory Safety Training is available for staff who are unable to attend a "live" session. The safety training has been customized for the various University lab staff:
- Clinical Lab Personnel - training program designed only for those who process human specimens. Training on this topic is also available through the Blackboard system.
- Phlebotomists and Clinical Study Coordinators - training program designed only for those who draw blood or coordinate clinical studies Training on this topic is also available through the Blackboard system.
- Research Lab Personnel - Laboratory Safety Training is now available through Blackboard. Instructions on how to self-enroll in the course are available - Self-enroll in Lab Safety Training.
If you do not wish to use the Blackboard system,choose the training program based on the activities in the lab. All individuals within a particular lab must complete the same training program - You need to complete only one of the four options below. If you are not sure which one to take, the Biologicals/Chemicals/Animals covers the most information.
- Biologicals/Chemicals/Animals - training program designed for locations where chemicals, animals AND WHERE recombinant DNA, human specimens or infectious agents are used
- Biologicals/Chemicals - training program designed for those locations where animals are NOT used, but where chemicals AND recombinant DNA, human specimens or infectious agents are used
- Chemical/Animals - training program designed for those who work with chemicals and animals
- Chemicals - training program designed for those who work with chemicals and miscellaneous physical hazards are present
QUESTIONS or COMMENTS?
Contact EH&S at (585) 275-3241 or e-mail EH&S Questions.
This page last updated 2/6/2013. Disclaimer.