Environmental Health & Safety
Environmental Compliance Unit & Laboratory Safety Unit
Chematix: Hazardous Waste
Have questions regarding waste?
- Call the EH&S Environmental Compliance Unit at (585) 275-2056
Chemical hazardous waste at the University of Rochester must be disposed of using the University's chemical inventory system Chematix. You must have an active Chematix account and access to the labs the chemicals came from. To get access click here - Chematix Registration Information Form
Chematix CANNOT be used for the disposal of biological, radiological, pharmaceutical, controlled substance or regulated medical waste.
It is important to adhere to the appropriate chemical waste disposal rules!
- Some of the chemicals in the Chematix database are listed as "exempt from inventory". This does not mean that these chemicals are exempt from the chemical disposal requirements!
- "Exempt from Inventory" chemicals are generally defined as non-hazardous to laboratory personnel but still must be disposed of properly.
- To verify the proper disposal requirements for a particular chemical, contact the Environmental Compliance Unit (275-2056).
|If disposing of a chemical that is not found in Chematix, please follow the instructions to add a chemical to the Chemical Abstract Database and then complete the waste card as usual.|
- Create a Waste Card and related video
- Request a Lab Waste Pickup and related video
- Adding a Chemical to the Chematix Chemical Abstract Database
QUESTIONS or COMMENTS?
Contact EH&S at (585) 275-3241 or e-mail EH&S Questions.
This page last updated 1/20/2020. Disclaimer.